COVID-19 Update: InRoads Insurance is open, but we ask that all business with our office be handled by phone or email. Read more here.
Auto Insurance

What to do if you’ve been in a car accident

By December 8, 2020 No Comments
InRoads Insurance blog - what to do if you've been in a car accident - woman making a call on her mobile phone calling her insurance agent after being in a car accident

If you have been involved in a car accident, here are the two steps you need to take:

1. Report the accident to your broker or insurance company

When you are involved in an car accident involving injury or property damage, you need to report it to your insurance agent, broker, or insurance company within seven days, regardless of who is at fault.

2. Gather all the facts

It’s important to collect some basic information about the accident and share these details with us when you call:

  • Name of the registered owner’s insurance company and their auto insurance policy number
  • Make, model, year, registration and licence plate number of the vehicle involved in the accident
  • Details regarding the accident, including:
    • Driver’s name and driver’s licence number (if the driver is not the registered owner)
    • Date, time and location of the accident (city/town, intersection)
    • Extent of any injuries
    • Number of passengers involved, if any
    • Extent of damage to the vehicle
    • Description of the accident (what happened before, during, and after the accident took place?)
    • Names and driver’s licence numbers of the other drivers, as well as the names of their insurance companies and their auto insurance policy numbers
    • Licence plate and vehicle identification numbers (VINs) of the other vehicles
    • Name and badge number of the investigating police officer, if the accident was reported to the police

When to call your broker, when to call the insurance company

If anyone involved, including you, has been injured as a result of a car accident, call your insurance company directly. If any of the vehicles involved in the accident have sustained obvious major damage, again, call the insurance company. If all parties involved are uninjured and the vehicles are not significantly damaged, call your insurance broker first. We can provide advice on whether it may be in your best interest to not contact the insurance company. “Fender benders” that result in a minor ding, scratches, or scrapes may be not worth putting through your insurance as a claim. Depending on the amount of your deductible, it may be better to pay for the repair directly rather than make a claim. Your broker can also review your claim record to see if your insurance rate may be impacted.

Ensuring claims are fairly handled is an additional benefit of being with an insurance broker. We not only help you with the claims process, we can help to ensure a fair and speedy settlement.

We’re here to help you through the entire process. Remember, we have years of experience helping people in your situation.